Teeth Whitening - How to Choose The Best Services
Whitening teeth has fast become popular. And why not? No longer do we have to hide our smile because our teeth are covered with unsightly stains. At Smile 4 Me Dental, teeth whitening is simple, and for the fabulous results you receive, the price for teeth whitening is worth it.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
Wherever you go and whoever you meet, it is important to remember that your teeth are one of the first impressions you make. A recent study, that focused on people who had whitened their teeth showed:
- 58% of the participants who had whitened teeth were more likely to be hired
- 53% of those who had white teeth received a larger salary
- 54% of the evaluators commented that they were more interested in spending more time or “dating” participants after their teeth were whitened because of the improved beauty of their teeth.
How Does Teeth Whitening Work
As a result of all the different foods we eat and drink, specifically coffee, wine, berries and even smoking, our teeth can quickly develop stains. Plus the enamel on our teeth wears down as the years add up. Some discoloration removal methods are effective for teeth whitening by simply maintaining a proper and consistent oral hygiene program, however, noticeable stains on your teeth are a whole different matter. Fortunately, in this day and age, there is an answer for those who desire to have the brightest smile possible. Teeth whitening can successfully remove your unwanted stains and make your teeth white again.
Our in-office teeth whitening involves:
- identifying the current shade of your teeth
- polishing your teeth, with a grainy material called pumice, to remove all plaque
- isolating your mouth with gauze to keep your teeth dry
- using a re-tractor to keep your cheeks, lips and tongue away from the whitening solution
- placing a barrier along your gum line to protect it
- coating the front surface of your teeth with a whitening solution
- curing the solution with a light or laser
- leaving the solutions on for 30 to 60 minutes
- rinsing your mouth
- applying a fluoride to ease tooth sensitivity
- avoiding foods that could stain your teeth for at least 24-hours
- additional visits could be required until the desire shade is reached
How Long Does Teeth Whitening Last
Normally, a professional teeth whitening lasts from five to seven years. However, for those who have stained teeth as a result of genetics or a serious illness, along with those who are not able to refrain from consuming stain-generating food and drinks, touch-ups may be required. Over-the-counter products can last up to two years. Whitening toothpastes must be used repeatedly as they whiten teeth during routine brushing, but whitening toothpastes do not have the ability to maintain any long-term results.
Is Teeth Whitening Bad for Your Teeth
Too much of anything can be too much, which also happens to be the case with teeth whitening. It is also important to use the highest quality teeth whitening products and procedures because hydrogen peroxide opens up the most internal parts of a tooth, and then allows the peroxide to penetrate and produce the white effect. Following the procedure your teeth are naturally able to re-hydrate and return to their normal state.
The American Dental Association states:
- whitening treatments can be effective on both extrinsic and intrinsic staining.
- whitening may not be an option for all patients, for example, in people with tooth-colored restorations.
- the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry discourages full-arch cosmetic bleaching for children with mixed dentition because it can result in a mismatched dental appearance when the permanent dentition erupts.
- safe and effective whitening options are available for in-office applications, dentist-supplied products for use at-home and over-the-counter whiteners.
- temporary tooth sensitivity and gingival inflammation are potential adverse effects associated with whitening.
What is the Best Whitener for your Teeth
Most teeth whitening products use the same active ingredients, however teeth whitening products offered in a dentist’s office contain the highest quality elements to produce the most effective and longest lasting results. Most people do not realize that the most important teeth-whitening aspect is not the whitener but the device used to hold the whitener in place. At Smile 4 Me, we use the latest in custom-fitted whitening trays that guarantee equal coverage, allowing for a more natural look. Our at-home whitening treatment program offers detailed instructions and we are available to make sure your home-based program receives the best and most satisfactory results.
Can Anyone Have Their Teeth Whitened
No. For those who have damaged gums or teeth, teeth whitening is not the answer. This being the case, it is extremely important to meet with a qualified dentist, skilled in all teeth whitening procedures, to make sure this process is safe and effective for you.
At-home Teeth Whitening Alternative
Smile 4 Me Dental also offers an at-home tooth whitening gel containing bleaching ingredients to make your teeth whiter. Because the whitening gel contains peroxide, if you do not receive a proper-fitting tray for your teeth, gum irritation and other related issues can result, which is why it is important for us to provide the right gel tray for you. Using a whitening gel is an excellent way to whiten your teeth at home.
How Long Does it Take to Whiten Teeth
Our in-house dental whitening takes 60 to 90 minutes. Our at-home program takes up to two weeks. That's not a lot of time considering it took years, and even decades, for teeth stains to discolor your teeth. And we are fortunate a way has been developed to whiten teeth. It wasn't that long ago that stained teeth were a lifelong curse, but recent discoveries have made stained teeth a thing of the past.
How Much Does Teeth Whitening Cost
The average cost to whiten your teeth is $650 for a safe, in-house treatment. At-home teeth whitening treatments typically cost $400 and the price for over-the-counter treatments are generally under $100. If you break these rates down to each day you spent with stained teeth, the price you pay to get your whitest, brightest smile back is less than a penny a day. As the statistics who, the benefits far outweigh the price.
To have a brighter, whiter smile, contact Smile 4 Me Dental, and let us work out a personalized program and payment plan for you.